- Ideal for NERC CIP security perimeter dial-in
- Metal enclosure, stand alone or rack mounting
- Two-wire dial-up modem with extensive security features
- Industrial temperature rated -40 to +75 C
- Asynchronous RS232 port
- Telnet functionality
- Comprehensive activity logging
- One-time pass phrase option
- User name and password authentication
- Secure AES encrypted connection option
- Dial back option
- Administrative user configuration
- Easy to setup and maintain
- Extensive statistics logging and diagnostic tools
- Compact size, Stand-alone or Rack Mounting
- Powered by 9,12,24,-48 VDC, or 120/240 VAC (external wall mount AC supply standard)
The SM-56 is an industrial rated high security dial-in/out modem containing one RS-232 serial port, one telephone line V.92 modem port, and one 100BaseT ethernet port. It may be used as any other simple modem or configured for high security uses. The RS-232 serial port operates at asynchronous speeds from 1200 bps to 115.2 Kbps.
There are several high security modes, making this security modem very versatile:
- The modem may be configured as a high-quality, simple V.92 modem.
- It may be configured to use one-time pass phrases, the list generated upon request by an administrative user.
- An AES encrypted connection mode requires a shared key and session key on the modems at both ends of the connection. The connection is secured using the AES encryption algorithm and the modem only connect with other properly configured SM modems containing proper keys.
- A dial-back option is available that allows the modem to dial back to a phone number when it is called. That number must be configured in a valid number list,
- It will disconnect after three invalid login connection attempts or with encryption mode enabled, after a single failure.
If the modem detects a denial of service attack, an SOS feature will stop answering dial-in calls temporarily and report to a dial-in pre-configured number such as a numeric pager.
Call attempts, call statistics, and management functions are always logged. The 10/100 ethernet port shares the dial-out modem for locally connected LAN clients that don't have a directly connected modem. This features is accessed with the simple telnet program provided on all PC workstations. It may also be used in reverse as a telnet client for the dial-in user after authentication.
The modem is configured using proprietary AT commands with a telnet connection to the 100BaseT port or directly connected to the RS-232 serial port. A validated administrator must be signed into the modem to perform any management steps remotely.
The SM-56 security modem is ideally suited for Critical Infrastructure Protection regulations propagated by the NERC and some FIPS standards. It may be used to meet NERC Cyber Security Standards CIP-005-2 and CIP-005-1 to secure the electronic security perimeter (CPS) around all critical cyber assets.
- DE-9P (PC-9pin) connector
- Speeds to 115.2 Kbps
- One V.92 2-wire modem port
- Multiple high security modes:
- One time pass phrases
- Shared key connection
- SOS feature
- AT commandconfigurations
- Ethernet port :
- 10/100BaseT half duplex used for dial-in telnet, configuration, or dial-out modem sharing.
- Protocol Features
- AES encryption
- Front - Power, Status, port activity, modem TD, RD, CD, DTR
- Rear - LAN connection, LAN activity
- Dip Switch: Hard reset, DTE speeds (1200 bps to 115.2 Kbps)
- NERC Critical Infrastructure Protection Cyber Security Standards: CIP-005-2 Electronic Security Permineter and the Security Modem
- CIP standards CIP-002 through CIP-009 may be met using standard DCB SCADA products along with proper management and procedural standards. This note delves into CIP standards and shows how the SM security modem helps secure electronic security perimeter access points.Read the note!
- Extended AT command Set
- Standalone or rack mount, DIN clip option
- Power requirements: 6VDC, 3 watts
- 12, 24, 48, 125 VDC and 240 VAC options are available
- Supplied with 100-240 VAC external power supply
- 4 1/4" x 5 1/2" x 1 3/4"
- One pound
- Operational Temperature -40 to +75C
- Storage Temperature -50 to +75C
- Humidity < 95% non-condensing
- 1U single unit rack mount bezel
- 1U three unit rack mount
- Multiple power supply options
|DC Powered Secure Modem " align="bottom" height="127" />
Rear View with DC input connector
|Secure Rack Mount Modem " align="bottom" height="127" />
Rack Mount Bezels
|SM-56||Dial up security modem||$ 689|
|SM-56/12VDC||Dial up security modem with 9-18 VDC power input||$ 764|
|SM-56/24VDC||Dial up security modem with 18-36 VDC power input||$ 764|
|SM-56/48VDC||Dial up security modem with 36-72 VDC power input||$ 764|
|9501030||External 125 VDC power supply for dial up security modem||$ 125|
|9902096||1U Rack Mount Bezel for one modem||$ 15|
|9902095||1U 3-unit Rack Mount||$ 75|
|9801009||Modem PC 9-Pin (DE-9S) to common DB-25 DCE cable, 6 feet||$ 16|
|9801022||Modem PC 9-pin female (DE-9S) to PC 9-pin male cable(DE-9P), 6 feet|